Day 41 – 10th of February, 2011
The tone of your voice is something people just take for granted. I never even thought twice about what tones I used when I talked until I stumbled upon an article about it. After I read the article, I felt like an idiot because controlling the tone of your voice is so obvious and yet it is also such a powerful force in social interaction, you just needed to become aware of it.
Try saying “go me” slowly, starting higher for go and dropping your voice for the word me. Now say it again energetically, starting low and raising your voice until your climax when you say me. It gives a much different effect! This is how much power the tone of your voice has over you and the people you are interacting with.
To master how to use the tone of your voice effectively.
- The tone of your voice and your body language actually makes up most of social interaction. The words you speak are nothing without tone and body language which means by improving on these two will increase your ability to communicate and therefore the quality of your life.
- By being aware and knowing how to control the tone of your voice, you will be able to change the mood of yourself and others around you.
- You will find yourself gaining extraordinary improvements in phone conversations. This is because body language doesn’t play a part when you’re talking on the phone, so most of the conversation is now made up of your tone.
How To Control Your Tone;
- You first need to record yourself have a conversation. Maybe on the phone, but preferable a conversation where you can hear both the other person and yourself. By doing this you can hear what you actually sound like and how you respond to certain questions. Most people think they sound different to how they sound recorded (I know I do!), but by recording yourself, you hear what other people hear.
- Now that you’ve heard your real voice, how would you react to it? Is it passionate? Is it boring? Now you know what you actually sound like, you know how to improve on your voice.
- Relax, drink water, sit up straight and breathe from your diaphragm. This allows your voice to sound less strenuous.
- Smile when you talk, this actually has been proven to be very effective, even when yo’re talking on the phone.
- Practice in the mirror, and practice some more. Practice sounding average, practice sounding energetic. See what happens when you change the tones around and also see what happens when you’re talk louder and softer. Play around and see what you and other people like!
What I’m Going To Do;
Since I’m in retail, I can easily practice my tone on all of the customers as well as the people on the phone. I’m kind of cheating aren’t I! So tomorrow I will be going around and practicing all of this. I may even practice in the mirror tonight to see what I look like while I talk and record my practice so I can see what I sound like to other people. By doing this I will know what I need to improve on.
Tell me down below about how you have improved using your tone and also any funny stories about the conversations with funny or inappropriate tones See you tomorrow!